Andrew Mertz maintains a broad-based Secured Lending, Commercial Real Estate and Business Law practice. He regularly advises senior executive officers, directors and company owners on a broad range of commercial transactions. His secured lending practice involves representing community banks, regional banks, institutional lenders and borrowers in the following, among others: commercial loan transactions secured by real property and personal property, SBA loans, loan purchases between lenders, loan workouts, and foreclosure proceedings. Mr. Mertz's commercial real estate practice encompasses representing lenders and developers on virtually all types of real estate projects, including: retail, industrial, office, apartments, condominiums, residential, and golf course communities. He has extensive experience in the acquisition, development, financing and disposition of properties, negotiating and drafting contracts, CCRs, easements, leases, inter-governmental agreements and other real estate related agreements and instruments. This area of his practice also includes establishing owners' associations and condominium regimes, and facilitating tax deferred like-kind property exchanges. Mr. Mertz's business law practice includes: business purchases and sales, organizing various business entities including corporations, limited liability companies and partnerships for developers, property owners and business owners, and advising his clients in the operation of such entities.
A representative listing of transactions in which Mr. Mertz has been involved includes:
- Negotiating and closing numerous acquisition, construction, development, and master line of credit loans, and writing title insurance policies on transactions ranging from $500,000 to $30,000,000;
- Negotiating and closing multi-million dollar loan transaction secured by a variety of commercial real estate properties in several states throughout the southeast;
- Public offering of corporate bonds secured by real estate;
- Closing the private acquisition of a majority of commercial properties In a local city center, spurring the revitalization of the area;
- Structuring and closing acquisition, financing and subsequent sale of a multi-family residential portfolio in excess of seventy properties;
- Structuring and facilitating tax deferred like kind property exchanges involving office buildings, shopping centers, multi-family residential properties, apartment complexes, warehouses;
- Organizing and counseling the first Community Improvement District in Gwinnett County, Georgia; and
- Negotiating and facilitating the purchase of real estate secured loans originated by closed bank.
Mr. Mertz is a member of the State Bar of Georgia (Real Property Law Section) and the Gwinnett County Bar Association. Mr. Mertz has achieved a Martindale-Hubbell AV PREEMINENT TM peer review rating continually since 2004. Mr. Mertz is active in the Gwinnett community as well. He is a graduate of the 2000 class of Leadership Gwinnett and is currently an active member of the Gwinnett Chamber of Commerce and other community organizations. He and his family live in the Grayson area of Gwinnett County.
Andrew R. Mertz
Webb, Tanner, Powell, Mertz & Wilson, LLP
10 Lumpkin Street
Lawrenceville, GA 30045
Phone: (770) 962-0100
Fax: (770) 963-3423
Practice Areas: Secured Lending, Commercial Real Estate and Business Law
Education: University of Georgia School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 1990), Missouri University (B.S.B.A, 1986)
Admitted to Practice: Georgia, 1990