Civil Trial Litigation
Trying cases for businesses in the courts of Gwinnett County, Metro Atlanta and Northern Georgia is a specialty of our law firm. With experienced lawyers that have tried hundreds of cases in almost every area of law, our firm can deliver successful results for any type of business. Our lawyers have unequaled experience and success within the jurisdictions we serve.
Litigation success is measured by trying, winning and resolving cases for our clients. Because of our experience, we know that some of our clients' greatest victories were the cases that did not have to be tried, and were wisely settled. For more information on successful results achieved by specific lawyers click on this link for Attorney Profiles.
BANKRUPTCY LAW-CREDITOR RIGHTS
Exclusively representing creditors (such as our bank clients), we are expert in bankruptcy issues. Our goal is to maximize the client’s recovery from the bankrupt debtor and to free secured collateral as quickly as possible from the stay imposed by bankruptcy court. Bankruptcy issues often overlap with our Collections Litigation area.
For assistance in this practice area contact Jody Campbell.
Our firm represents the interest of businesses in the courtroom. Whether we are seeking to divide the business or enforce a contract, we are ready to enforce your rights using the full force of the rules of procedure and evidence to insure a successful result. Our experience makes our lawyers confident of success. For a representative view of our experience in this area, peruse the following reported cases from the Georgia Court of Appeals and Supreme Court:
- City of Buford v. Ga. Power Co.,S03A0089. ,SUPREME COURT OF GEORGIA ,276 Ga. 590; 581 S.E.2d 16; 2003 Ga. LEXIS 475; 2003 Fulton County D. Rep. 1565,May 19, 2003
- Meeks v. City of Buford,S02A0698. ,SUPREME COURT OF GEORGIA ,275 Ga. 585; 571 S.E.2d 369; 2002 Ga. LEXIS 924; 2002 Fulton County D. Rep. 2971,October 15, 2002
- Newton Commonwealth Property, N.V. v. G + H Montage GmbH,Nos. S91A0285, S91A0286, S91X0287,Supreme Court of Georgia,261 Ga. 269; 404 S.E.2d 551; 1991 Ga. LEXIS 241,May 23, 1991
- Vance v. Jackson,A98A0507. ,COURT OF APPEALS OF GEORGIA ,233 Ga. App. 480; 504 S.E.2d 529; 1998 Ga. App. LEXIS 1003; 98 Fulton County D. Rep. 2863,July 16, 1998
- Bumgarner v. Green,A97A0987. ,COURT OF APPEALS OF GEORGIA ,227 Ga. App. 156; 489 S.E.2d 43; 1997 Ga. App. LEXIS 824; 97 Fulton County D. Rep. 2437,June 20, 1997
This practice area is a sub-section of the Banking and Business Law practice areas. If you have a customer that owes you money, our lawyers know how to collect the debt for you. Our firm has service providers and investigators that locate assets.
- Lisle v. Willis,S95G0407. ,SUPREME COURT OF GEORGIA ,265 Ga. 861; 463 S.E.2d 108; 1995 Ga. LEXIS 863; 95 Fulton County D. Rep. 3282,October 23, 1995
- Dixie Diners Atlanta v. Gwinnett Fed. Bank FSB,No. A93A1470,Court of Appeals of Georgia,211 Ga. App. 364; 439 S.E.2d 53; 1993 Ga. App. LEXIS 1518; 93 Fulton County D. Rep. 4366,November 29, 1993
- Booth v. Gwinnett Federal Sav. & Loan Ass'n,No. A91A0341,Court of Appeals of Georgia,200 Ga. App. 60; 406 S.E.2d 568; 1991 Ga. App. LEXIS 742,June 18, 1991
For assistance in this practice area contact Jody Campbell.
Our litigation group represents local governments, builders, contractors and individual property owners in contract disputes and damage cases surrounding the construction of houses, buildings and subdivisions. WTPM&W has many satisfied clients who were either plaintiffs or defendants in construction litigation cases.
EMINIENT DOMAIN (CONDEMNATION OF PRIVATE PROPERTY RIGHTS)
Because of our role as local government attorneys, our lawyer have acquired extensive experience litigating in condemnation of real property. When no conflict exists between our existing local government clients and new clients , we are free to apply our experience to defend the private property rights of individuals. Representative cases in this area of law include:
- Ga. Transmission Corp. v. Barron,A02A0686.,COURT OF APPEALS OF GEORGIA, THIRD DIVISION,255 Ga. App. 645; 566 S.E.2d 363; 2002 Ga. App. LEXIS 680; 2002 Fulton County D. Rep. 1586,May 24, 2002
PERSONAL INJURY, PRODUCTS LIABILITY AND WRONGFUL DEATH
If you have been injured as a result of the negligence or intentional conduct of another, our firm would like to represent you in securing compensation for your injuries. In this area, we prefer to work on a contingency fee basis so that you are not required to advance your financial resources to pay for this litigation. We are paid based on the results we achieve. In cases of intentional conduct, we do our best to make sure that the resulting compensation is an incentive for the defendant to never repeat the wrong.
For assistance in this practice area contact Melody Glouton.
REAL ESTATE LITIGATION
The business of buying, selling, developing and improving real estate is a huge industry in Gwinnett County, Georgia and the surrounding Metro Atlanta region. As a result, participants in this business end up in court over a host of complex real estate litigation matters including:
- BOUNDARY LINE AND LEGAL DESCRIPTION DISPUTES
- BREACH OF CONTRACTS
- BREACH OF WARRANTIES
- CHAIN OF TITLE ERRORS
- DISPUTES OVER THE MEANING AND INTENT OF REAL ESTATE CONTRACTS
- FORCED DISSOLUTION OF BUSINESS ORGANIZATIONS
- HOMEOWNER ASSOCIATION DISPUTES RESTRICTIVE COVENANTS
- TITLE INSURANCE LITIGATION
WTPM & W lawyers have experience in resolving and litigating all of these issues. The following is a small sample of our cases reported in this area:
- Pruitt v. Keenan,No. S94A0093 ,Supreme Court of Georgia ,264 Ga. 279; 443 S.E.2d 842; 1994 Ga. LEXIS 455; 94 Fulton County D. Rep. 1970,June 13, 1994
- Appalachee Enters. v. Walker,S95A1070. ,SUPREME COURT OF GEORGIA ,266 Ga. 35; 463 S.E.2d 896; 1995 Ga. LEXIS 954; 95 Fulton County D. Rep. 3752,December 4, 1995
- Britt v. Albright,A06A2059 ,COURT OF APPEALS OF GEORGIA ,282 Ga. App. 206; 638 S.E.2d 372; 2006 Ga. App. LEXIS 1344; 2006 Fulton County D. Rep. 3407,November 1, 2006
- A.A.L., Inc. v. Colonial Pipeline Co.,A06A0420. ,COURT OF APPEALS OF GEORGIA ,280 Ga. App. 237; 633 S.E.2d 560; 2006 Ga. App. LEXIS 698; 2006 Fulton County D. Rep. 1888,June 13, 2006
- Hudson v. Dobson,A03A0409. ,COURT OF APPEALS OF GEORGIA, THIRD DIVISION ,260 Ga. App. 473; 580 S.E.2d 268; 2003 Ga. App. LEXIS 399; 2003 Fulton County D. Rep. 1164,March 20, 2003
- Canaan Properties, Inc. v. Oakes,No. 44565,Supreme Court of Georgia,357 S.E.2d 99; 1987 Ga. LEXIS 802,June 19, 1987
- Ovestco Corp. v. Bowen,A94A1161. ,COURT OF APPEALS OF GEORGIA ,216 Ga. App. 121; 453 S.E.2d 94; 1994 Ga. App. LEXIS 1431; 95 Fulton County D. Rep. 99,December 20, 1994
- Gilleland v. Welch,No. 15490,Supreme Court of Georgia,200 Ga. 789; 38 S.E.2d 598; 1946 Ga. LEXIS 341,June 5, 1946
ZONING AND LAND USE LITIGATION
As a by-product of representing local governments, our lawyers have a unique insider understanding of how zoning and land use decisions are made. Because of our understanding and knowledge in this special area, our lawyers are able to guide you through the maze of local government rules to achieve your preferred zoning classification or your land use permit. If a local government fails to follow their own standards or violates constitutional rights to use your property, our lawyers are able to guide you over the procedural hurdles to compel elected officials and their subordinates to obey the law. The following are representative appellate decisions in this area:
- Hughey v. JMS Dev. Corp.,No. 96-9181,UNITED STATES COURT OF APPEALS FOR THE ELEVENTH CIRCUIT,116 F.3d 1493; 1997 U.S. App. LEXIS 14677,May 30, 1997
- Powell v. City of Snellville,S02A0059, S02A0060.,SUPREME COURT OF GEORGIA,275 Ga. 207; 563 S.E.2d 860; 2002 Ga. LEXIS 440; 2002 Fulton County D. Rep. 1500,May 28, 2002
- Gwinnett County v. Davis,S99A0430. ,SUPREME COURT OF GEORGIA ,271 Ga. 158; 517 S.E.2d 324; 1999 Ga. LEXIS 511; 99 Fulton County D. Rep. 2076,June 1, 1999
- Ashkouti v. City of Suwanee,S99A0334. ,SUPREME COURT OF GEORGIA ,271 Ga. 154; 516 S.E.2d 785; 1999 Ga. LEXIS 506; 99 Fulton County D. Rep. 2075,June 1, 1999,
- Gwinnett County v. Davis,S97A0703. ,SUPREME COURT OF GEORGIA ,268 Ga. 653; 492 S.E.2d 523; 1997 Ga. LEXIS 737; 97 Fulton County D. Rep. 4160,November 17, 1997
- City of Duluth v. Riverbrooke Props.,A98A1291. ,COURT OF APPEALS OF GEORGIA ,233 Ga. App. 46; 502 S.E.2d 806; 1998 Ga. App. LEXIS 882; 98 Fulton County D. Rep. 2546,June 22, 1998